A nomadic generation from the PC to the multi-context connection

In the above presentation I made a personal summary of some of the most relevant findings that I saw in the last Oxford internet Survey (OxIS) which was recently launched by Grant Blank and Bill Dutton (download report, pdf).

During the presentation of OxIS, in the House of Commons Bill Dutton and Grant Blank explained that one of the main findings of this British survey was the so-called “Next Generation” (aka Nomadic Generation, thanks to an intervetion of Joss Wright).

The report says:

“The next generation user is defined by the emergence of two separate but related trends: portability and access through multiple devices. First, there has been a continuing increase in the proportion of users with portable devices, using the Internet over one or another mobile device, such as a smart phone…

Now in 2011, the mobile phone is one of a number of devices for accessing the Internet that are portable within and outside the household.Secondly, Internet users often have more devices, such as multiple computers, readers, tablets, and laptop computers, in addition to mobile phones, to access the Internet…

Fully 59% have access to the Internet via one or more of these multiple devices other than the household personal computer”.

Considering the idea of the “Next Generation” (much more realistic and reliable than the idea of ‘digital native’) and its links with those who are digital content-creators I think that a lot of commonalities can be found between this work and the “Geographies of the World’s Knowledge” developed by Graham, M., Hale, S. A. and Stephens, M. who mapped the digital world based on the generation (and uploading) of contents. That is why I decided to link both works in my presentation.

Thanks to an invitation of Miguel Raimilla and Ian Clifford to participate in the next Telecentre-Europe Summit in Brussels, I will present a summary of the OxIS 2011 in the session: Impact assessment- European digital inclusion. In order to do that, I prepared this Prezi that is publicly available (downloadable and improvable).

Special thanks to all the OII people who worked in any of these outstanding works.