data science, digital politics, smart cities...|jonathan.bright@oii.ox.ac.uk

Python and Social Media Data for the Social Sciences

In July I gave two short workshops at the OII’s Summer Doctoral Programme and also at the Digital Humanities at Oxford Summer School. I had two great groups of bright PhD students and postdocs to teach to. The sessions were only two hours long, and its a big challenge to teach some meaningful programming skills in such a period to complete beginners (in the end, I decided to walk them through a small example project of getting news articles from an RSS feed and checking how many times they have been shared on Facebook, providing most of the code myself). I also rely on lots of technology which I can’t fully control, which is a risk (I want to teach people to connect to things like the Facebook API, which means I need to rely on getting python working on their machine, on their machine connecting to the internet through the visitor wifi, and on the FB API being up and running during class). But the tech worked, mostly, and overall experience was really positive.

python

In the future however I strongly believe that social science needs a better way of integrating computer programming skills into undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, so that these doctoral level workshops can be more about mastering skills and less about training beginners. So I suppose the hope is that in a few years I won’t need to teach such courses any more, even if I do enjoy them.

By |2014-08-01T12:29:32+01:00August 1st, 2014|Python, Social Science Computing, Social Web, Teaching|0 Comments

About the Author:

Leave A Comment